ver wondered when the idea of potting plants and keeping them indoors rather than outside came up?
The domestication of plants began nearly in Neolithic period (about 10,000 BCE) and around 600 BC, King Nebuchadnezzar II got the garden created for his wife, Queen Amytis who was born in a land full of greens, that she missed in her present palace. Later in 500 and 400 BC, Germans, Romans and Egyptians, all have been known to keep houseplants, the culture trickling down to the Renaissance and Victorian period and then to the modern era where it has become so mainstream that you would find almost every office and home furnished with houseplants. And why not? Owing to enormous benefits and being the symbol of clean living, houseplants deserve that space.
So, if you are on your way to find some amazing plants to start with or wish to satiate the green thumb in you by adding more plants to your existing flora setup, here are 5 absolutely essential indoor plants that are a must have for a healthy being and healthier environment. Take the guide:
1. Aloe Vera
One of the most common houseplants, aloe vera, with its medicinal properties, can unlock multiple benefits and can be brought to everyday use.
- It helps heal burns, cuts, scars and wounds
- It cures constipation
- It eases ulcerative colitis and irritable bowel syndrome
- It helps improve immune system
- It cures dry skin and skin diseases like eczema
Basil or tulsi is a magic herb that is revered for its medicinal properties and has been in use since times immemorial.
- It improves mental alertness and focus
- It cures loss of appetite
- It is helpful to cure snake and animal bites
- Including basil in food improves blood circulation
- It fights kidney disorders
3. Jade plant
Jade plants are one of the best air purifying plants and its benefits go way beyond its aesthetic appeal.
- In Africa, the leaves are boiled in milk to treat epilepsy, diarrhoea, corns
- According to Feng shui, it invokes “Chi” that uplifts, renews and spreads a positive aura.
- In China, jade with the pointed leaves are used to treat diabetic symptoms
- The flesh is bound over warts that helps warts fall off.
- Juice of the jade is used to treat sore lips sore throat
4. Bonsai Plant
Growing bonsai is an art. Bonsai plants come in various types and serve us with unique benefits.
- It helps relieve stress and relaxes breathing
- They help in air purification
- They cure sore throats, tiredness and fatigue
- They stimulate the creative side and give brain a good everyday exercise
- They increase physical activity with proper trimming, watering and fertilizing requirements
5. Curry Plant
Curry plants or kadi patta are commonly used in many dishes in India, Thailand and various other Asian countries. The plants are rich in Vitamin A, B, C & B2 and their benefits are aplenty.
- It regulates cholesterol and helps quicken weight loss, provided it is included in meals everyday.
- Due to presence of carbazole alkaloids, it fights bacterial infection
- The essential oils of curry leaves fights off anxiety, depression and stress
- The fresh paste of curry leaves is used to treat burns, skin eruptions and wounds.
- It speeds up digestive secretions and relieves morning sickness and vomiting, especially during pregnancy.
Houseplants serve us in many ways. Make sure you know their various benefits and improve your everyday life with the proper use.