While taking your meals, you have to ensure that you have a balanced diet that provides all nutrients and in the right proportions. The same case applies to your fried chicken; it is rich in oils and protein. Moreover, you could have a small number of carbs after covering your chicken in batter. A tasty side dish should ensure that you have lots of vitamins and fiber. Avoid proteins and greasy dishes as much as you can.
If you choose it to be raw foods, you can pick the likes of leafy greens tomatoes, or sweet capsicum. If your vegetables require slight cooking, use methods that do not require an excessive amount of oils such as boiling, steaming, or blanching. In addition to this, remember to avoid topping your chicken with sugary desserts but instead use yogurt instead. Here are some of the healthy side dishes you could use.
1. Light Potato salad
Though many Americans do not like potatoes cooked in this style, light potato salad is one of the best salads that has been in use. All you need is a little oil and good wine vinegar to blanket them. The trick in preparing this meal is to use very little oil.
2. Cucumber-Watermelon Salad
Once the high season strikes in, take advantage of the Asian and Mexican fruits to make the best salad out of them. In a serving bowl filled with slices of each, add lime juice, hoisin sauce, jalapeño, and salt. In addition to this, add parsley and mix them gently to avoid breaking the dices. Lastly, you can add black pepper with a little spice to taste. To ensure that you serve it fresh, make sure that you dress the salad in small batches during different intervals of serving. This is because it might become soupy if it stays for more than one hour in the serving bowl.
3. Classic mashed potatoes
Mashed potatoes are one of the best delicacies that some people take as the main meal instead. As long as you have an excellent masher, hot potatoes, enough butter, and salt, you are ready to be the new chef in town! In your kitchen, ensure that you are openhanded with salt and batter but avoid more milk as much as you can since it will flatten your potatoes’ taste.
- Peel your potatoes and boil them in water until they are thoroughly cooked
- Heat butter and milk together in a saucepan
- Dry your potatoes in a hot pan and mash them until smooth while adding the milk mixture
- Transfer the creamy mixture into a serving bowl and cover to keep warm. Advisable to serve while hot.
4. Crusty Macaroni and Cheese
This is one of the best creamy dishes that come with a crunchy and crisp top.
Method of preparation;
- Heat oven to about 375 degrees, grease your baking tray with butter
- Mix pasta, grated cheese, and salt. Pour milk in the mixture and sprinkle reserved cheese and butter as toppings.
- Bake for about 45 minutes and later raise the temperature to 400 degrees and cook for extra 20 minutes until it becomes crusty on top and bottom.
5. Fried Green Tomatoes With Bacon Rémoulade
To enjoy your meal, ensure that you have tart unripe tomatoes, tossed in cornmeal batter and later fried in bacon oil for a few minutes.
- Combine egg yolk and one tablespoon green tomato pickling liquid or lemon juice if you wish
- Add a teaspoonful of water and salt into the mixture
- Stir while you add in neutral oil and olive oil until a thick mayonnaise paste is formed
- Chop 1/2 cup of the pickled-tomato-and-bacon relish and mix it into the paste mayonnaise to have a Rémoulade
- Prepare the tomatoes and chop them into large pieces. Coat them in flour, later in eggs, and finally in cornmeal.
- Cook tomatoes in a pan with bacon grease in low heat.
- Serve the fried tomatoes with Rémoulade while still hot
After going through this article, you will no longer worry about your side dish when taking the fried chicken. Preparation will no longer be stressful as long as you have a particular side dish in your mind. You can get more professional American barbecue recipes at bettersmoked.com.