7 Health Benefits of starfruit and nutritional value. Starfruit or Carambola is a plant that grows in tropical climates. Indonesia is one country with fertile starfruit plant. Starfruit has a shaped like a star, so in English is called the “Starfruit.” It feels very refreshing and much-loved by children and adults. Starfruit benefits not only as a snack alone but also save a lot of nutrients for health.
Starfruit is one of the exotic fruit that rich in benefits. In 100 grams of star fruit, provides 31 calories, this number is lower compared with other tropical fruit. The content of essential nutrients such as antioxidants and vitamins makes star fruit good for our health. Here are some health benefits of starfruit.
7 Health Benefits of Star Fruit
1. Healthy Digestion
Starfruit benefits to digestion known because the starfruit has high fiber content. These fibers will prevent the absorption of cholesterol from food in the intestines, helping the intestinal mucous membrane from toxic substances, as well as avoiding the risk of colon cancer.
2. Prevention of Cancer
The high content of vitamin C in Carambola make this fruit become one of cancer-preventing fruit. Vitamin C is a powerful natural antioxidant. In 100 gram of starfruit provides 34.7 mg or about 57% of the intake of vitamin C that needed every day. In general, the benefits rich vitamin C fruits can help body to develop resistance to infectious agents, free radical and anti-inflammatory for the body.
3. Rich in Antioxidants
Health benefits of starfruit for the body in maintaining healthy cells. Starfruit is rich in antioxidants such as flavonoids, polyphenols. Some types of flavonoids such as quercetin, epicatechin, and gallic acid. Total polyphenols in these fruits at 43 mg/100 g. These compounds help protect the body from the effects of free radical damage.
4. Increase the enzymes work
Health benefits of starfruit to increase the enzyme. In addition to antioxidant-rich, the star fruit is a source of B-complex vitamins such as folate, riboflavin, and pyridoxine (vitamin B-6).
5. Overcoming high blood pressure
Starfruit contains a number of minerals and electrolytes such as potassium, phosphorus, zinc and iron. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure. Thus, it will suppress the bad influence of sodium. Healing therapy of hypertension is mostly done with starfruit, by consuming them regularly.
See more: Health benefits of papaya
6. Overcoming Kidney Disorders
Health benefits of starfruit to cope renal impairment. Kidneys are vital organs in the digestive system, because the kidneys will filter out all the toxins in the body and release it with urine. If someone is having a complaint kidney problems, then consume the star fruit is one of the therapy. Because the Starfruit or starfruit has a very high concentration of the oxalic acid.
7. Reduce the levels of bad cholesterol
At the Starfruit contained pectin substances that reduce cholesterol in the blood. Pectin binds cholesterol and issued bile acids in their secretions. Of course this is very good for people with symptoms of diabetes.
Nutritional Value in Star Fruit
The most Nutrition in starfruit is vitamin, as it exists in citrus, guava and lemon. In addition to vitamin C, there is vitamin A. Vitamin A in Starfruit produce antioxidants. Other builder substances in starfruit such as minerals, folate, fiber (fiber), here are some of them:
- Calories: One serving of star fruit is equivalent to 2 percent daily value for calories, assuming a daily diet of 2,000 calories. Carbohydrate provides about 30 calories in a serving of star fruit.
- Carbohydrates: Starfruit contains 9.5 g of carbohydrates per serving, including 2.5 g of dietary fiber. Starfruit give 3% of the daily value of carbohydrates and 10% of the daily fiber requirement.
- Protein and Fat: One serving of star fruit contains 1 gram of protein, which is 2% of the daily requirement. Starfruit also has 1 g of fat, which provides about 2% of the daily value. Fat content is entirely composed of unsaturated fats. Starfruit has no saturated fat, trans fat or cholesterol.
- Vitamins and Minerals: In one starfruit contains 24 mg of vitamin C, or 40% of the daily value for vitamin C. It provides about 15 percent of the daily requirement of vitamin A. The content of iron in the star fruit around 0:36 mg, or 2 percent of the daily value. Starfruit contains calcium, potassium or sodium.
That glimpse of health benefits of starfruit and nutritional value content therein. Star fruit much around us, but sometimes we lack an understanding of the benefits, so a lot of Starfruit is wasted and not used for health.